Deck care and maintenance
You love your deck and all the things it provides from a place to relax on a warm summer evening to entertaining friends throughout the year. To make sure you can enjoy your deck year round, you should regularly maintain it. Here are some tips for deck care and maintenance to help keep your deck the cozy, relaxing place it should be.
Deck maintenance tips
- Clean and wash the deck: When you’re doing your spring cleaning, that’s a good time to clean your deck thoroughly. Sweep the deck first and clear it of debris, especially between the boards. Then wash it and scrub it with the appropriate cleanser using a paint roller, garden sprayer or stiff brush.
- Seal the deck: Another maintenance project for the spring is adding a sealant to the deck. Use the sealant a couple of days after cleaning it. Apply sealants and toners yearly and stains as needed.
- Inspect and repair the deck: A good midsummer project is checking your deck and making any necessary repairs. In your inspection, you’ll look for signs of cracks and rot and repair or replace those sections that are damaged. Check under the deck for damages, especially to the ledger, which connects the deck to house. Make sure to check all joists, posts and beams.
- Trim bushes and trees: The fall is a good time to trim back any bushes or trees by about a foot away from the deck.
- Move furniture and planters occasionally to avoid discoloration: Keeping furniture or planters in one spot for too long can cause discoloration.
- Repair nearby gutters and downspouts: Repairing gutters and downspouts prevents water damage.
Deck maintenance DIY
All of the above tips for deck maintenance and care can be done yourself. Some other DIY deck maintenance that can be done includes fixing any nails that have come loose from boards. The nails can be removed and the board can be reattached with a screw that’s longer than the nail.
Always be vigilant when it comes to maintaining your deck, especially when it comes to making repairs that could affect your health or safety.
Deck maintenance options
While regularly cleaning the deck and making repairs as needed are important to deck maintenance and keeping the deck in good shape, other maintenance options include adding sealant and deck staining. Whether your deck is old or just built, staining is important to protect your deck, especially from moisture and from pests that eat wood.
While deck staining in Fort Worth and Arlington, TX can be a DIY project, you may also want to enlist the help of professionals like Pro Seal Restoration. We use special stains and sealants that protect your deck even in the roughest weather from high heat to heavy rains.
Another way to protect your deck from moisture is cleaning your gutters and downspouts using a Fort Worth, TX roofing company.
How often do you need to stain your deck?
A professionally applied stain, like those that Pro Seal Restoration applies, will last about 2 to 3 years before a reapplication is needed. When it’s time to re-apply the stain, we recommend including it as part of your regular deck maintenance.
How do I keep my deck clean?
As part of regular deck maintenance, you should wash your deck at least once per year. But you’ll want to keep your deck free of debris and dirt throughout the year as well. To prevent planters from trapping dirt on the deck’s surface, place the planters on cement blocks. Make sure to use a grease catcher if you grill on your deck. Regularly sweeping the deck will help keep it clean, and shovel away any snow as soon as possible after a snowfall.
Should you seal your deck?
Sealing the deck is a necessary part of deck maintenance. When you seal your deck, the sealant protects your deck from both damage caused by moisture and from regular exposure to sunlight. Sunlight can dry and shrink the wood, causing cracks, and it can discolor it. Sunlight also breaks down wood fibers, accelerating wear.
Sealant also protects the deck from everyday wear, including scratches from furniture and grease splattered from barbecues. Additionally, sealant will protect the shady spots of your deck from mold growth.
Does pressure treated wood need to be water sealed?
Yes, pressure treated wood needs to be water sealed. Because it is more porous, pressure treated wood is more vulnerable to weathering and will need a sealant to protect it from weathering.
How much does it cost to refinish a deck?
Much of the cost to refinish a deck will depend on the size of the deck. The larger it is, the more the refinish will cost. A non-standard size may affect the cost, as will the deck’s condition. A deck in poor condition will cost more in materials and labor. Additional costs may include inspections for mold or pests like termites. Depending on where you live, the average cost to refinish a deck is anywhere between $2.20 and $3.82 per square foot, not including labor. Labor costs average anywhere between $350 to $650.
An essential part of deck maintenance in Fort Worth and Arlington, TX is deck staining. Whether you have a new deck or an old one make sure to contact Pro Seal Restoration for deck staining in Fort Worth and Arlington, TX. To schedule services call (817) 506-7722.